Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Buy A Book...


Just got back from a jaunt to Colorado and Nevada that relieved some of the built up tension you can get in the city. It was a trip that took me to near nirvana, with golfing, jet skiing, drinking, gambling, more drinking and hanging out with friends I have not seen in a very long time. When I got back to Manhattan I was horrified to see two things that are near and dear to my heart are now more expensive, the price of the New York Times went up by a quarter, that's a twenty five percent increase so that means if you make a hundred thousand dollars you should get a twenty-five thousand dollar raise. It ain't going to happen. It just seems All The News That's Fit To Print is getting harder to print cheaply. The other tragedy I heard was that the MTA is upping its fares to an unknown as of yet price. The cost of living in Manhattan is already astronomical, so what's a poor boy to do? What I usually do when I start fretting about money and finances, I go spend money. That's just the way it is, but one thing I have learned over the years is to instead of going and blowing a wad on nothing worth anything, I go buy a book. It's easier on the wallet and I can always use a new book. So I took a walk to one of my favorite book story, Logos, on York Avenue. Logos has been around since 1975 and has been a sanctuary for my meltdowns for more than a decade. It has a spiritual edge, is small, unique, has no pretensions, and is one of 31 Logos bookstores around the country. It is run by a sincere, friendly bunch of people led by Harris Healy. It is almost an oxymoron in Manhattan but when you want to relax and browse books in a lazy slow way it's the place to go. I entered the eclectic bookery, that also has a fair share of cards for any occasion, cds, and some odds and ends gifts, and started my search, looking through the couch books, then the shelf books and then I saw what I was meant to read, the new Cormac McCarthy book, The Road, an apocalyptic walk in the woods with father and son. I bought the book, left the oasis and walked to the East River to start my read that would have me forgetting financial woes in Manhattan as fast as a lightning strike on a golf course...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GREAT STORY, GREAT BOOK STORE...